Family says Blask lost everything in the fire. This includes his pet dog Choco after rescue personnel tried to revive the dog at the scene of the fire. (Image Via Go Fund Me)

Racine County Eye has expanded its coverage over the past six months. You have come to count on us for stories about our coverage of COVID-19, the elections, social justice issues, business spotlights, hometown heroes, and real estate.

We spend hours making sure you have the highest and best information. If this is important to you, please subscribe today.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

MOUNT PLEASANT, WI — The family of a Mount Pleasant man is hoping the public can help their loved one get back on his feet again after a fire devastated the apartment where he lived, killed his dog, wiped out his belongings and resulted in him being put in a medically-induced coma.

The family of Kevin Blask say he awoke at just before 11 p.m. on Oct. 21 to find that a fire broke out at the rear of the house where he lives. The flames engulfed the back of the property.

“Due to the rapid spreading of the fire and the front exit being obstructed Kevin woke up and had to jump threw a fixed glass window to escape,” mother Juliet Primuth wrote on her son’s GoFundMe page this week.

Mount Pleasant Police and South Shore Fire Department personnel arrived and pulled him away from the fire. Blask suffered multiple cuts from jumping out the window. He also suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning, smoke inhalation and also sustained some internal second-degree burns in his throat and upper lungs.


Related Reading

Kevin Blask’s Fire Recovery Fundraiser


Primuth said her son was immediately moved to the intensive care unit where he is on a ventilator, and has been in a medically-induced coma since his admission. “He has several medical hurdles to overcome and it is unknown at this time how long his recovery will take as he is still unconscious,” she said.

Family says Blask lost everything in the fire. This includes his pet dog Choco after rescue personnel tried to revive the dog at the scene of the fire.

“Kevin unfortunately did not have renters insurance coverage and has to rebuild his life’s possessions from the ground up. He recently became unemployed and I know he would appreciate any assistance offered,” Primuth said. “Anyone that knows Kevin would tell you he would give you the shirt off his back even if it was the only one he had. He has demonstrated this time and time again. He is one of the kindest people you will ever meet.”

Here is eyewitness video from the night of the fire:

Go Fund Me Is A Patch Content Partner


Racine County Eye and Patch are partnering up to provide readers with more local content and provide local advertisers with a larger audience to connect with.

Based in New York, Patch is a hyperlocal platform that currently serves over 1,200 communities, towns and cities across the U.S. Known as “The Patch” by its users, Patch is the go-to destination for hyperlocal news and discussion about your community. 

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/