RACINE, WISCONSIN – For the fourth year in a row, a group of animal shelters in Wisconsin are entirely waiving adoption fees for all adult cats in July. In 2018, the combined organizations performed 1,555 cat adoptions in July, compared to 1,301 the prior year. It’s been such a success that they are doing it again, and with a record number of Wisconsin shelters participating.
The 4th annual “I Cat Believe It!” joint cat adoption promotion aims to save the lives of more than 1,500 homeless cats in July. Fifteen shelters in Wisconsin are all waiving adoption fees for adult cats (1 year or older) in July, listed below.
The initiative is in response to the dramatic peak of cat intake in the summer months. The Wisconsin Humane Society alone reports that they are currently caring for 900 cats, in comparison to about 200 cats in late January.
“Cat population dips sharply in winter and rises fast in the summer months due to breeding cycles. Our colleagues throughout Wisconsin report similar trends, and we’re hoping this promotion will inspire more cat adoptions throughout the state,” said Anne Reed, President & CEO of the Wisconsin Humane Society.
Interested in adopting? Visit the shelters’ websites to view available cats and learn more about the adoption process. The participating shelters include:
- Coulee Region Humane Society, www.couleehumane.com
- Elmbrook Humane Society, www.ebhs.org
- Fox Valley Humane Association, www.foxvalleypets.org
- Humane Animal Welfare Society, www.hawspets.org
- Humane Society of Marathon County, www.catsndogs.org
- Lakeshore Humane Society, www.lakeshorehumane.org
- Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission, www.madacc.org
- Oconto Area Humane Society, www.ocontoareahumane.org
- Oshkosh Area Humane Society, www.oahs.org
- Washington County Humane Society, www.wchspets.org
- Wisconsin Humane Society (Milwaukee, Racine, Ozaukee, Green Bay, Door County), www.wihumane.org