Residents of an apartment building Wednesday alerted by smoke alarms safely evacuated after a fire started in the kitchen of one of the units.

Racine fire crews were called shortly before 1 p.m. Wednesday to a two-story apartment building in the 1600 block of Washington Avenue for a report of a structure fire. Working smoke alarms went off so tenants could get out of the building.

An installed sprinkler system extinguished the fire and kept the damage to $2,500.

While restoration crews worked to determine if the residents of the affected apartment could return to their home, the other tenants were allowed back into their units.

[broadstreet zone=”64574″]

Check out these other videos:
Chester Todd Jr.

Alex Hart-Upendo