A small fire that started in a bedroom because a child was playing with a lighter was quickly extinguished and caused around $500 in damages.

Racine firefighters were called at 5:47 a.m. Friday to a home in the 1700 block of Kentucky for a report of a fire. When crews arrived, the homeowner told them he heard a smoke alarm sound, and when he went to investigate found a small fire in a child’s bedroom.

The homeowner put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, and a child admitted to playing with a lighter and starting the fire.

No one was injured, and the residents were allowed back in their home.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/