RACINE — A lamp located in a bedroom started a house fire on Grand Avenue Friday, May 15, but no one was injured.

Officials with the Racine Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 1144 Grand Avenue at 3:15 p.m., according to a press release from the department.

When firefighters arrived at Refujio and Gloria Ramirez’s home, they found light smoke billowing out of the building. They extinguished the fire, which was contained to the master bedroom.

“The home was turned over to the owners after the fire was extinguished and investigated. The cause was a lamp that overheated next to the bed and plastic storage bins,’ according to the press release.

The estimated damage to the home was set at $40,000.


Support our publication

With the support of readers like you, we provide thoughtfully researched articles for a more informed and connected community. This is your chance to support credible, community-based, public-service journalism. Please join us!

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.


18 charges filed against woman who drove into crowd

RACINE – A Racine woman stands accused of driving her car into a group of people – seriously injuring a man – outside a Mount Pleasant bar early Sunday. Andernette D. Ross, 33, of 923 DeKoven Ave., made an initial court appearance Monday afternoon, according to online court records. The Racine County District Attorney’s Office […]

Common Heavy Machinery Problems

Don’t waste your time and your money by not keeping a close eye on your heavy machinery. Start preparing for problems by reading these common issues.

Razor Sharp Fitness, O&H Bakery Use ZERO Loan Program

Razor Sharp Fitness and O&H Danish Bakery are the latest recipients of the ZERO Loan Program. The program is a business lending initiative built to provide immediate financial relief to local businesses hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Racine County Economic Development Corp. (RCEDC) administers the program. Terri and Michael Bannon, owners of Racine’s Razor […]

PHOTOS: No one injured in Villa Street Fire

Firefighters from the Racine Fire Department put out a fire that caused about $25,000 in damage at 6:10 a.m. Monday morning in the 1700 Block of Villa Street. Three fire engines, a truck, a quint, and an ambulance responded to the fire. The responding personnel included 23 firefighters, two commanding officers and two fire investigators. […]

UW-Whitewater Graduates at 2020 Winter Commencement

WHITEWATER, WI– The following students earned degrees from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at winter commencement on December 19, 2020. Burlington, WI, — Valerie Auseth graduated with a Master of Science Education in professional studies Waterford, WI, — Michael Bloom graduated with a Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting Mount Pleasant, WI, — Adam Braley graduated […]

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.