Racine County Eye has expanded its coverage over the past six months. You have come to count on us for stories about our coverage of COVID-19, the elections, social justice issues, business spotlights, hometown heroes, and real estate.

We spend hours making sure you have the highest and best information. If this is important to you, please subscribe today.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

RACINE, WI – One person was hospitalized, and two others were rescued after a fire ripped through a duplex Sunday morning at 111 Ohio St.

The fire started at 1:05 a.m. because of the careless use of smoking materials, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department. Quint 4 and MED 4 from the West Racine fire station responded in a little over five minutes from the time of dispatch.

When they arrived on the scene, they found heavy fire coming from the basement. With three people still inside the home, firefighters focused their attention on rescue efforts.

They found one person unresponsive, that person had suffered second-degree burns and smoke inhalation.

Rushed to Ascension-All Saints Racine, the man’s carbon monoxide level read high, and staff at the hospital ordered a transfer to the Ascension-Columbia St. Mary’s Burn Unit in Milwaukee.

The estimated loss from the fire is $30,000.


Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.