Racine County Sheriff’s deputies say Lee Lucas phoned in a bomb threat Oct. 26 to help a woman with whom he may have been having an affair avoid a court date for eviction.

Lucas, 45, was charged Friday in Racine County Circuit Court with one felony count of phoning in a bomb scare and one misdemeanor count each of telephone harassment and disorderly conduct. If convicted, he faces up to four years in prison and/or up to $11,000 in fines.

These charges come just 10 days after Lucas was formally charged with misdemeanor retail theft after Mount Pleasant police say he stole liquor from Malicki’s Piggly Wiggly on Thanksgiving. Store security told Racine County Eye that Lucas suffered a diabetic episode while police were taking him into custody, and he had to be transported to Wheaton Franciscan St. Mary’s for treatment.

He was assigned a $100 cash bond for that case and ordered not to have any contact with Piggly Wiggly and not to possess or consume any alcohol.

According to the criminal complaint for the bomb threat charge, Lucas was seeing a woman who was going to court Oct. 26 for an eviction hearing. He placed a call to the Racine County Courthouse and said three or four times that there was a bomb in the courthouse.

Through phone records, investigators say they determined the call was placed from a pay phone at MJ Food Mart at the corner of Wright and Lathrop Avenues. Surveillance photos distributed to area media depicted a man wearing distinctive black shoes with green laces touching the handset that was swabbed for any DNA that might be present. The samples were then sent to the state crime lab.

When results came back, the DNA from the phone matched that of Lucas, the complaint reads. When officers executed a search warrant Dec. 8 at Lucas’ residence, his wife told them that he’d recently befriended another woman who had been evicted from her home several weeks earlier. When police questioned the woman, she admitted to being friends with Lucas and that he knew about her eviction court date but that when they talked about the bomb threat he did not admit to calling it in.

Officers say that when they interviewed Lucas, he said he and the woman were having an affair and that he called in the bomb threat to try and prevent her eviction.

Lucas remains in the Racine County Jail on a $3,000 cash bond. He will next be in court Dec. 17 for his preliminary hearing.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/