Racine Fire Department units responded to reports of an active fire alarm shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday evening at 1509 Rapids Drive. Crews from Engine 2 located a small but smoky fire inside a workshop of a building tenant.

A working fire sprinkler system had held the fire in check, according to a report from RFD. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

After a site investigation, it was determined that oily rags had not been properly stored. The property was turned back over to the tenant of the wood shop.

The Fire Department estimated the dames from the small fire at $2,500. No injuries were reported.

Tips on how to store and dispose of oily rags and materials.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Rex Davenport

Rex Davenport is a reporter, editor and editorial project manager with more than 40 years of experience in newspaper, business magazines and other content channels.