… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
**Updated 7:45 a.m. Feb. 14
A fire that started in a fireplace caused $50,000 in damage and displaced a local family.
Just after 6 p.m. Friday, crews from the Racine Fire Department responded Friday evening to reports of a house fire in the 1300 block of Grand Avenue, according to our media partners at Racine Uncovered.
A neighbor saw flames coming out of the attic and alerted residents inside. There were no injuries.
According to scanner chatter reported by Racine County Scanner, the fire may have been so hot and burned so quickly that fire fighters were in danger of a possible collapse. A few minutes later, reports indicate the roof was coming down.
Approximately 30 minutes into the fire, police were working crowd control to keep the area secure and residents safe.
Racine County Eye reader Alex Tyyska supplied photos.