Advertisements

One cat is dead and a homeowner has been displaced after a fire ripped through part of a residence at 1408 College Avenue at 8:15 p.m. Monday, March 16, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

No humans were injured in the fire, but the homeowner has four cats. One died in the fire, one is missing and the other two were unharmed.

The fire started in the kitchen after a frying pan with cooking oil was left unattended as the resident was watching the news.

The Racine Fire Department extinguished the fire quickly, but the fire damaged the kitchen, bedroom, and dining room. Fire officials estimate the loss at $25,000 to the structure and $5,000 in contents.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.