After a fire destroyed Rosie’s Restaurant on New Year’s Day, the Racine Fire Department has ruled the fire accidental and determined that the origin of the fire was an unattended heater.

No one was injured during the fire, but investigators determined that the building was a total loss at $150,000, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

Wind chills that day had been at about -16 degrees and the restaurant was closed for the holiday. When firefighters from the Racine Fire Department arrived, flames were showing and they started to vent the roof. But the Battalion Chief on scene grew concerned that the roof may collapse because it had a heavy HVAC unit on the roof and ordered the firefighters off of the roof.

[broadstreet zone=”64574″]

During the investigation, department officials determined that the building had been burning for hours before it was put out at 9:30 p.m.

“Crews were unable to put water on many areas of the fire as intact roof and building sections shed firefighting water,” the press release reads.

The origin of the fire was determined to be a torpedo heater, which was aimed at some water lines that had frozen in the building.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.