… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
A Friday afternoon fire caused by a stove accidently left turned on caused $5,000 in damage and displaced a mother and her four children.
Racine Fire Department Deputy Chief Jeff Perkins said in a written release that firefighters were called at 4:27 p.m. Friday to the 1100 block of College Avenue for a report of a fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found flames that started at the unattended burner, crawled up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire was quickly extinguished but caused about $5,000 in damages.
A mother and her four children were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
No one was injured as a result of the fire.