A family of three was left homeless after a tanning bed started on fire at 1607 Russet St. on Thursday.

No one was injured during the fire.

Roberta Perez, the owner of the home, called 911 at 10:31 p.m. and told the dispatcher that her “tanning bed was on fire,” according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

Three people were inside the home at the time. They tried to extinguish the fire, but were unable to put it out. When firefighters from the Racine Fire Department arrived, they saw flames showing from the basement window. The three people got out of the house and firefighters were able to put the fire out quickly, the press release reads.

While the home is uninhabitable at this time, the family was able to make their own housing arrangements and the Red Cross was not needed. A restoration company was on scene to take control of the property.

The damage is estimated at $50,000. The fire is under investigation.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.