Lamont Koker and Naceir Mayes appeared in Racine County Circuit Court Wednesday for their preliminary hearings in the shooting of another teenager last week at the Racine Transit Center.
Koker, 17, and Mayes, 15, are facing adult felony charges of 1st degree attempted intentional homicide for allegedly shooting a 17-year-old boy in the chest Jan. 21 after he got off a bus at the transit center on State Street.
Koker entered the courtroom wearing orange jail scrubs and ankle shackles and appeared scared. After taking his seat to wait his turn, he saw members of his family and broke down. He cried and wiped tears as he waived his preliminary hearing before Court Commissioner Alice Rudebusch, and she bound him over for trial.
His status conference and arraignment are scheduled for Feb. 4.
Mayes was also bound over for trial and waived his preliminary hearing. He answered Rudebusch’s questions in a clear but quiet voice about understanding what the waiver means.
“There is no plea offer at this time,” Racine County District Attorney Rich Chiapete told the court.
Mayes will also have a combination status conference/arraignment; his next court date is Feb. 16.
Koker is also charged with carrying a concealed weapon, and Mayes is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of marijuana.
According to their criminal complaints, Mayes admitted to police that he and Koker are members of a gang, and they had problems with the victim, who is a member of a rival gang on the other side of town. The defendants were both armed when they reportedly went to the bus station to confront the boy.
Police say during a brief verbal exchange, both Mayes and Koker fired, and it is unclear who fired the shot that hit the victim in the chest. The second shot grazed the arm of the boy’s sweatshirt.
There was a third boy with the defendants, and Mayes told police he urged the pair not to go to the transit center the complaint reads.
Koker and Mayes remain in the Racine County Jail on $500,000 cash bonds.