A fire reported at 8:20 a.m. Wednesday is under investigation after Racine firefighters say the flames started in the ceiling of a first floor bathroom.

Racine Fire Lt. Bedros Ohanian said in a written release that a neighbor was walking by when they noticed smoke coming from a home in the 1900 block of Case. When they knocked on the door to alert anyone inside, there was no answer so the neighbor called 911.

When crews arrived on scene, they quickly determined the fire was located in the ceiling above the bathroom on the first floor and extinguished it. The homeowner was not home at the time, and there were no injuries.

Ohanian estimates there was around $20,000 in damages, and the fire is under investigation. The home was turned back over to the homeowner.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/