Racine County Eye has expanded its coverage over the past six months. You have come to count on us for stories about our coverage of COVID-19, the elections, social justice issues, business spotlights, hometown heroes, and real estate.
We spend hours making sure you have the highest and best information. If this is important to you, please subscribe today.
Western Racine County Flooding At Historic LevelsMost of the City of Burlington and Waterford have been impacted by the flooding. The Fox River crested early this morning, but was at 16.5 feet. This is the highest level ever recorded, but it is slowly starting to recede. according to a press release by Racine County. “The company is working diligently to restore power to the Burlington area, and early estimates for restoration are by midday tomorrow, Friday, July 14 th . However, in such emergencies, the public should anticipate and be prepared to have the outages continue longer,” according to the press release. Members of the National Guard are helping residents from the City of Burlington with monitoring traffic. They will also aid the county in doing health and well visits to people who are elderly, homebound, and vulnerable adults The best way to get into Burlington is by using the Burlington Bypass to get across the river. “Many people and organizations have contacted the city to donate goods, food and services to the community. We are working on creating a process and plan for those requests,” mentioned Mayor Jeannie Hefty. “We will be letting the public know what they can do to help us as soon as we can. “We appreciate your patience during this emergency situation and future clean-up efforts.”
Racine County Under State Of EmergencyRacine County issued a state of emergency Wednesday morning. Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling warned residents living in western Racine County residents not to drive if they didn’t have to. A number of roads remain closed by the Racine County Sheriff’s Department, including:
- State Highway 20/Washington Ave is closed east bound at State Highway 75/ N. Beaumont Ave
- Vandenboom Road is closed from State Highway 11/Durand Ave to the Racine County Line
- Highway J/ English Settlement Ave is closed between Highway 11 and Mt. Tom Road/312 th Ave
- Highway 11/Durand Ave is closed between 59 th Dr. and 67 th Dr. (east of Union Grove)
- Highway 11 west of Highway 75 by the Kansasville Fire Department
- Highway B from Highway 11 to the Kenosha County line
- Interstate 94 southbound at the KR off ramp
- West Frontage Road from Highway 11 to KR
- East Frontage Road from Braun Road to Highway KR
- Highway 11 at West Frontage Road to 59th Drive
- Willow Road from 16th Street to Highway 11
- 90th Street from Braun Road to KR.
- Local road conditions
- Racine County resources for flooding victims
- Village of Union Grove: If you have water damage, bring your garbage out to the street by Friday, the garbage will be picked up at the curb both Friday and Saturday this week at no charge. Please stack it as neatly as possible.
- National Weather Service
- We Energies power outage map
- The opening night performance of Cabaret at Malt House Theatre tonight is canceled. Updates are being posted on The Haylofters
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/