The relocation of Willow Road in preparation for the county’s Highway 11 project is moving forward.
Sturtevant trustees Tuesday are expected to approve two resolutions that authorize the relocation and hire an appraiser so the village can acquire the necessary land and/or easements.
The Willow Road relocation – most of which will be paid by the state – will entail:
- Willow Road will be redirected around the south end of Waxdale to connect with 84th Street.
- A traffic light will be installed at Highway 11 and 84th Street.
- The current Willow Road will cul de sac just north of Highway 11, and a reconnect will make the businesses at Willow and Durand accessible from the cul de sac.
- 84th Street south of Highway 11 will be renamed Willow Road and connect with Willow Road at Broadway.
- Two driveways on Durand Avenue into American Metal Technologies will be eliminated, and access will instead come in off of the new Willow Road.
The state Department of Transportation will pick up the tab for the 84th Street and Durand Avenue improvements and the removal of the traffic lights at Willow Road and Highway 11. Realigning Willow Road eliminates the need for widening the railroad trestle just east of the intersection.
Work on the Willow Road project will begin in 2017; work on Highway 11 does not yet have a date.
The Village Board meeting begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Village Hall, 2801 89th Street. Call (262) 886-7200.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/