No one was injured after a wood stove caused a garage fire at 2:44 p.m. Saturday at 2311 6 Mile Rd.

The homeowner had a fire going inside a cast iron wood stove, but it didn’t have a protective shield around it. While the homeowner was inside the garage, it started on fire. Several neighbors smoke and flames coming from the garage and alerted the homeowner. He tried to douse the fire with a fire hose, but the effort was unsuccessful, said Sgt. Jim Gardiner, of the Caledonia Police Department.

Members of the Caledonia Fire Department put out the fire quickly.

“The whole back-end of the garage is gone, but the car is still able to be driven,” Gardiner said.

The estimated damage to the garage and car is $14,000.

 

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.