Follow Us

A Friday afternoon fire caused by a stove accidently left turned on caused $5,000 in damage and displaced a mother and her four children.

Racine Fire Department Deputy Chief Jeff Perkins said in a written release that firefighters were called at 4:27 p.m. Friday to the 1100 block of College Avenue for a report of a fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found flames that started at the unattended burner, crawled up the wall and across the ceiling. The fire was quickly extinguished but caused about $5,000 in damages.

A mother and her four children were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

No one was injured as a result of the fire.